Friday, March 7, 2008

Ironwood Giraffe


I hold in my fist
the neck of a foot-high
ironwood giraffe
I bought in a market 
in Johannesburg

This hard wooden sculpture
reminds me that
I saw no giraffe
while in Africa
though I strained my neck

and squinted against the plane's
tempered double window
and looked upon Senegal
to see only darkness
and a few huts

All the way to Jo'berg,
to Maputo and north
along the coast of Mozambique,
past the swollen Zambezi,
there was no sign

of the prophetic beast
who says very little
but flaps an ear
while exfoliating
a village tree

I saw children close to earth
and mothers bending the knee
and a ragged beggar
sleeping on the beach
and many bare feet

There were homemade boats on the shore
and on the wrong side of the road
worn down diesel trucks
I met mahogany colored people
who raised the palm with "Salaama"

Beneath me, the hard red earth
Above, palms and boabab trees
At eye level, orphans and widows
bright smiles and laughing
music and dancing

I still see large yellow African morning skies
with rainbows at noon
I hear the rhythms of Makua and Makonde tongue
I listen to boys with wares on the beach
who can negotiate with anyone

Then back through small airports
named for national heroes
but never a glimpse
of a noble and cow-eyed
black and orange race of seers

So I hold my ironwood
giraffe by the neck
and plant him on the mantle
so I can see every day
what I have not seen

6/3/08
copyright 2008 Trevor Haug
from "Poems of Africa"



1 comment:

Michelle Sellick said...

I love the poem. It tickled me because I see a giraffe every Sunday when I drive to church. His head is always peeking over the fence. Our church is down the road from Zoo World...Michelle