Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cien Poetas Mexicanas

I have invited
100 Mexican poets
into my bedroom
I shake them alive
like dusty puppets
who need forearms for spines
and fists for brains

My Spanish is lacking
so their eloquent soliloquies
are full of gaps
like messages from space
disrupted by solar winds

I catch something from Carpio
about the virgin,
a whisper of death from Espino
Lerdo tries to explain light
Solana, a tree

I coax from some
the shadows of sadness;
from others, secrets
buried by time's conquest

Hour after hour
they interupt each other
in an anthology of ruined verse
In the end, leaving me to dream,
they interpret each other's awakenings

Gallardo is in the corner,
head in his folded arms
and Nova is lost
in a volume
of Neruda's love sonnets

Plaza and Rincon
have slipped out
to make quesadillas
While the rest have joined
the moon and the stars,
riding like bandits across the sky

09

copyright 2009 Trevor Haug


No comments: